Candle safety and care tips
If you have purchased beeswax candles from us this section will help you to get the most out of them, use them safely and maximise their burn time.
Beeswax candles are a comforting and relaxing luxury, but (as with all candles), they are dangerous if not used properly and safely. Beeswax in particular can get extremely hot when burning.
Our candles undergo safety testing but unpredictable accidents are always a possibility - these can be easily avoided just by using candles in a responsible manner.
If candles arrive damaged in any way please do not use them - contact us for a replacement.
- ALWAYS read the information on the candle warning sticker and adhere to it.
- ALWAYS remove any packaging before lighting.
- NEVER leave a lit candle unattended or near children/pets.
- NEVER leave a lit candle on or near anything that could catch fire - this includes the surface the candle is on, but also things above or around the candle (such as curtains).
- NEVER leave a lit candle in a draft.
- ALWAYS follow any other care information provided with your candle.
- NEVER burn candles close together.
- NEVER let candles burn right down to the bottom - extinguish them before this point.
- Always use a candle holder, candle plate or another suitable surface, do not place directly onto furniture or other household surfaces when lit
- Use a candle plate or another suitable, flat, heatproof surface for a pillar, and a holder for a tall thin candle. The pillars will stand on their own and don't need a holder to stand up, but a plate is for safety and helps to avoid mess (as drips can happen).
- It's not recommended to use a holder with sides (such as a hurricane holder) for beeswax as the fact beeswax candles get very hot means they can warp/collapse when enclosed in this way). This overheating could also cause the holder to break.
- Trim wick to around 5mm before lighting, if you don't have wick trimmers then nail scissors work well. Try and get into the habit of trimming the wick each time you go to light it.
- For pillar candles, establish a burn pool on the first use. This means ensuring you've burnt it until the wax pool extends to the edges of the candle (usually around two hours). This stops your candle from 'tunnelling'.
- Don’t burn for more than three – four hours at a time. If you burn your candle for too long then they may not burn evenly. It will also reduce the burn time.
- For pillar candles you may occasionally have to 'hug' your candle - meaning gently push the edges towards the middle.
- Extinguish candle either by using a snuffer or by pushing the wick into the wax pool and then returning it to its upright position.
- For some of the novelty shaped candles we sell you will probably find they drip quite a lot. This is due to the shape of them and these types of candles are mainly intended as decorative items, rather than made to burn for a long time.
- Improves and purifies air quality.
- Can benefit those with asthma and environmental sensitivities.
- Has a subtle natural aroma of honey and flowers.
- Beeswax candles are non-toxic and have a ‘clean’ burn with little smoke.
- Beeswax candles burn stronger and brighter than most other candles creating a natural ambience and a relaxing atmosphere.
- Your candle may develop 'bloom' which is a white layer on the outside of it. This is nothing to worry about and in fact it shows that the candles are 100% pure beeswax. If you wish to remove it you can clean it off with a soft cloth but it's fine the use the candles without removing the bloom.
Safety information for wax burners and melts
Do not overfill burners (and never add water) and only use with an unscented tea light. Do not leave lit candle unattended.
Always burn within sight and keep away from drafts and vibrations. Keep out of reach of pets and children.
Always place on a heatproof surface when in use and never burn on or near anything that could catch fire.
Do not use burner if cracked or damaged.
Burners can get extremely hot. Do not touch or move your burner until completely cooled down.